May 8, 2013

Color Correcting the World Around Us

Yesterday I managed to loose my glasses swimming in a deep quarry lake.  I was forced to wear a backup pair that was tinted 10% yellow. Besides the funny looks I got from students, I noticed that the world immediately took on a "warmer" feel. Colors would pop, the sky, trees, people were all more vibrant. A friend tried them on and upon taking them off said, "the world is depressing now." Cinematographers use this technique to add emotion to a shot.
Surrounding area of my cubicle at work.
This got me thinking. Could this be a future aid to depression? We associate yellows with sunlight, and sunlight with happiness. Maybe all it would take to turn around someones day is for the world to be tinted warmly. *notice green has the opposite effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment